Thursday, May 3, 2012

May the 4th Be With You

May 4th... Star Wars Day. I find it all too funny that the big "Star Wars Day" is coming at about the same time as I am preparing for Jonah's Star Wars themed birthday party in a couple of weeks. The theme is running thick here lately! Here are a few sneak peeks of some of the things I've got in the works!

The invitations went out a couple of weeks ago...

I saw these done on this site and replicated them myself with a little creative use of my Sure Cuts A Lot program and the Cricut. The kids LOVED them! I made an extra one to put in his baby book, but *sniff sniff* this is the last birthday that's in his baby book! It only goes up to the 5th birthday. I guess he'll be an official "big kid" after this. :'(


Of the awesome deals I racked up at Target when they had 50% off coupons for Star Wars toys, I picked up the Star Wars Operation game. That's going to be our opening activity... tinkering with the droid where we will find our mission to help Obi Wan Kenobi destroy the Death Star. hehe These younglings will need to become Padawans and train to become Jedis before they can do that though! :)

Our friend, Oscar, has graciously agreed to be our Jedi Master for the day, to teach these younglings the ways of the Force! :) (freeing me up to take pictures! woot!)
Shortly after he agreed to do that for us, I saw this picture and knew I was going to HAVE to have little Jedi robes for all of the boys. ;) 
 I used this tutorial and got some $3.99 fabric half off at Joann's. I have to give a huge thank you to my mom, who helped me cut/press/sew all 6 of these!
 Despite his attitude of not wanting me to interrupt Wow Wow Wubzy to have him try it on 2-3 times during the process, he really does love his Jedi robes.
 Here's a view of the little hood in the back.
There they are, all 6 of them made for less than $30 and in about a day and half's time.
Building your own light saber is somewhat of a rite of passage for every young Jedi, so after they don their robes, we'll have several different sized, pre-cut, strips of electrical tape to choose from to design their light saber's handle. Once they've done that, they can head out back to do some more training with Jedi Master Oscar before graduating from the Jedi Academy and having cake.

They'll "fly off" in the Millennium Falcon, fight their way past the storm troopers, and then take on Darth Vader before heading on to destroy the Death Star...
A basketball pinata spray painted grey. I still have some work to do, painting on the other details, but it's a start. 
  Knowing the pool noodle light sabers and even the plastic Darth Vader light saber wouldn't be strong enough to bust open our Death Star, I painted a wooden dowel rod to look like Yoda's. That should do the trick! ;)

Can't wait to show you more pictures after we've actually had the party. It's shaping up to be just as epic as the Halloween party was, if that's possible! 

No comments: